Wednesday 29 September 2010

Mouse vs Touch Screen

I dont think the mouse will soon be outdated. For desktops & desktop replacement laptops they are just the more comfortable way of working. Touchscreen will become more popular I think, but I hope more as an interface for control devices ("next gen" keyboards or something, or for handheld devices. I wouldn't want to be holding up my arms to poke my screen all day.  The mouse has been a mainstay of the personal computer ever since the first GUI-enabled Apple Macintoshes hit store shelves. It’s how the vast majority of us interact with our computers every single day.

Yet of the many basic computing features that have evolved, the cursor interface really isn’t one of them. Point-and-click has mostly been the same since the mouse’s introduction in the 1960s. The rise of the iPhone, iPad and Android devices have begun to alter how we interact with our computers, though. All of these devices use touchscreen interfaces out of necessity, but the result has been the birth of a wide variety of user interfaces that don’t require dragging a little arrow across a virtual desktop.

No comments:

Post a Comment